June 27th until September 21st 2008 - At 936 Mei Ling Way in LA's Chinatown

Saturday, February 28, 2009

berliners dig into smocks..



Update From Chicago – Remote Recap

Hello Everyone,


I hope all is well across the country and abroad. Of course some news has already spread itself about, but I just wanted to follow up a little with our sale in Berlin at Sprüth Magers. It was (is), as Kenturah already mentioned, simply amazing. And it wouldn’t have been so, if not for all of your generous projects, work, energy, accumulations of thought, and good spirits. Everyone who came in to see the smockshop was genuinely interested, and asked many questions to boggle the mind. I of course did my best to wade through these - but the best part of all - was that in the end, all these questions really solidified how far the smockshop has come over the past two years. It is truly remarkable what the smockshop has accomplished, and only nature knows where it may go next.

My thoughts are just about everywhere on the experience, so please bear with me if they seem somewhat jumbled or out of order – they do compose a whole though – I promise. A few thoughts for now: The Cindy Sherman work in the other Sprüth Magers space below us was superb, and a pleasure to have accompany the smockshop (I think there is some connection between these two, perhaps in a strange way). Inside and outside of the gallery, food was fantastic: everyday the gallery would order in for some scrumptious cuttings, shavings, peace-mealing, of veggies, grains, meats, and treats, to be followed by a quick coffee. And of course we were always finding our way to new haunts in the evenings – on the final night in town we went to a little Turkish deli/restaurant and had falafel, hummus, and döners in Prenzlauer Berg, this will not be forgotten (I am a huge fan of filling the gullet though, so it doesn’t take much to impress me, but this I promise - was extraordinary). Oh, and the Green Tea ice cream we had at a little sushi shop called Kuchi, this was some pretty smooth stuff, pretty smooth. Ahhh, and the Kölsch beer at a little bar close the Volksbuhne theater, fresh from Cologne, this, I’m glad I didn’t miss. Which also, makes me think of crossing between what used to be Berlin West and East Berlin, although I’m by no means savvy enough to talk about the politics of this at length, the little instances that were pointed out, or the few which were more obvious than others were a great learning experience (the old Soviet architecture is awesome). And, lastly, for now, the weather: well, the weather was dark and dreary, a bit snowy, a bit rainy – but it was perfect – it fit, Berlin is just the kind of place to slosh around and enjoy life – I think if the sun were out it would have distracted from all the great things at ground level.

My hat’s off to Berlin, thanks again smockshop, thanks again Sprüth Magers!

P.s. If anyone heads out there, definitely visit Kumasch for fabrics on Kantstrasse (at Weimarerstrasse), they have some fine materials, and a really nice selection of Japanese shears. I know I mentioned it in the last post, I guess I wish I could have just taken it home with me.

2 comments:

Frau Fiber said...

I love the smockshop in berlin

D said...

ok, i want a smock - i'm in los angeles - what do i do?